How to Get the Most from the Fair
- Attend even if you aren’t actively job searching
- Keep an open mind about organizations
- Employers have connections beyond their organization
- Practice talking about yourself and your work
- Consider your goals for the conversation
How to Prepare
- Employer conversations will be 3-5 minutes long. Make sure your pitch is clear and quick.
- Research attending employers; understand their work, mission, and what they’re hiring for.
- Curate your portfolio for each employer and save a presentation of your work to your laptop or tablet. Don’t rely on wifi!
- Prep your resume and online presence (bring 10+ resume copies to the fair).
- Create business cards/takeaways (bring 20+ to the fair).
- Prepare a short introduction of yourself that connects your skills and interests with the organization’s work.
- Prepare thoughtful questions to ask each employer about their organization and what they are looking for in potential candidates.
- Get your clean, professional outfit ready to wear. Don’t forget about personal hygiene. Clean your portfolio, laptop, and organize your desktop to look professional.
- Utilize Peer Career Advisor and Career Counselor drop in hours (days and times below) for mock interviews or prep help.
What to Expect
- Students from all years and majors encouraged to attend
- No registration required
- Each of the 50+ companies will have a table. Walk around, check out the employers, and meet with companies who interest you. Representatives are expecting you to approach them and introduce yourself
- Employers are expecting you to know about their company. Research the positions they are hiring for. Never ask “what does your company do?”
- Be flexible with the conversation. The reviewer might ask about your art, life goals, or greatest strengths. Try to have some fun!
- Leave a copy of your resume/takeaway with organizations you’re interested in
- Ask for the rep’s contact information (pro tip: send a thank you email and connect on LinkedIn)
Not Sure Where to Start? Career Development Can help!