The Maryland Science Center is a museum focused on hands-on Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, and Math learning for students of all ages. Visitors experience science through dynamic exhibits, staff-led programs, observatory, planetarium, and IMAX shows.
Interactive Exhibits Internship
The Interactive Exhibits intern will help build a brand new exhibit all about the physics of light!
During the internship you will design, prototype, test, fabricate and install new hands-on exhibit components. Learn to work with new materials and tools while creating interactive pieces that visitors will use for years to come.
Read a first-hand account of MICA intern experience with us last Spring here.
Qualifications and/or eagerness to learn:
- Creative and independent problem solver
- Ability to quickly communicate ideas and designs through sketches and/or 3D computer models
- Experience safely using all common woodworking tools to create finished projects
- Ability to design and communicate ideas via 2D drawings or 3D models to museum staff
- Ability to fabricate structures and mechanisms from CAD drawings
- Experience with design software preferred (Illustrator, SketchUp, or other vector/3D applications)
Helpful but not necessary:
- Experience with mechanical and/or electrical device creation or maintenance (i.e. arduino, raspberry pi, etc)
- Experience with CNC router operation and toolpathing
Graphic Design Internship
Help the Maryland Science Center design and prepare the graphics package for a brand new exhibit all about the physics of light!
Graphic design portfolio
Letter of interest